Wednesday, February 9, 2011

New Love: Crocheting & Paper Meets High Fashion

Yeah, I know. Another Tuesday has come and gone without a Travel Tuesday post. 
Sorry, I've been too busy getting my crochet on. :-P

I tried to crochet my first flower at last Sunday's crop I went to but it wasn't pretty and I'm not showing you the end result. Yeah, it was that bad!
But, after switching to an easier flower pattern and 3 attempts here is my cute little creation:

Isn't it just perfect?
I've also forgotten how relaxing crocheting can be. You should give it a whirl if you haven't. The vast amounts of video tutorials on You Tube are great ways to learn the craft.

I finally finished my JBS-inspired hearts as well at last weekend's crop.

I also  happened upon a really cool exhibit going on at the Legion of Honor right now. It's called Pulp Fashion: The Art of Isabelle de Borchgrave


She was a Belgian artist but her muses were textile and costumes. Everything you see in her clothing is made of paper which she then manipulated or painted. I sort of think of this exhibit as paper crafting meets iconic fashion as her works were inspired by fashion legends such as Coco Chanel and Christian Dior



Some of these works have come to SF straight from the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, which was one of my favorite art galleries when I toured Europe. The exhibit runs through June 5th so I hope to get there before then!

I have to throw this in here:

Darren asked me to teach him how to crochet. How cute is that? I couldn't resist taking this picture of him. I taught him the basic stitch and now he is working on crocheting a key chain. A key chain for what key? Don't ask me!



No comments: