Sunday, July 5, 2009

Is that you, cousin?



I have been meaning to write about a timely family reunion up in Sonora late last month. With the passing of my maternal grandmother last month, this Wentworth reunion was something I didn't want to miss.

This reunion was special because (1.) this family gathering was a perfect way to celebrate my grandmother's life even though this reunion was planned well before my grandmother's passing. And (2.) I haven't seen many of my cousins on my mother's side for close to 10 years. In some cases, almost 30 years!

I was most excited to see my cousin Pammy (yeah, a childhood name that I still have to call her! - Sorry, Pam!) because we used to "hang out" together at grandma and grandpa's house in Redwood City when we were about 10 or so. She's been living in Kentucky and Missouri now for as long as I can remember so when I heard that she flew out for the reunion with her son, I was anxious to see her again. This day also happened to be her actual birthday so here she is with her birthday hat and cupcake:



and a pic with her son:



Pam and me!




Believe it or not, we actually roasted a pig. My dad couldn't help himself but to be the man in charge.



Uncle Bob and my parents




Cousin Steve and his special chef's hat


Mom and two of her brothers Bob (on the left) and Frank.



"the boys"



Darren at Pinecrest Lake. We spent the day there while the men roasted the pig!





Mom and my Aunt Becky





It was so great to see uncles and cousins and their wives and husbands and children. The Wentworth family definitely multiplies like rabbits I tell you!


"The great gift of family life is to be intimately acquainted with people you might never even introduce yourself to, had life not done it for you. "
- Kendall Hailey

No comments: