Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Heavenly Reunion

2 days ago my last surviving grandparent, Mrs. Alice Wentworth, passed away. She was 98 years old. Although I knew this day was coming it was still a shock to hear the news. I could have sworn she was going to live to see her 100th birthday but God must have had other plans.

What comforts me is that I have many childhood memories to comfort me. I remember spending the weekend at my grandparent's house with my sister and going shopping and playing in their incredible backyard for hours. I could swear it was the biggest backyard I have ever seen to this day. I also remember my grandmother teaching me how to play double solitaire - which we would of course play for hours.

I am thankful that Darren was also able to see his great-grandmother twice in his 7 years. They hit it off immediately - despite the age difference. Here they are back in 2004 or so when she and my uncle were out for a visit from Kentucky.





My grandmother had bad knees but still managed to chase Darren around the kitchen for the sheer fun of it. She was paying for it later with aches and pains but I am sure that if she could have turned back time she would have done it again anyhow.

Here's my sister Jan with Grandma at Thanksgiving several years ago.



I know for a fact that she is up in heaven dancing with my grandfather. Rest in peace, Grandma. And have a dance with Grandpa for me. I miss you both.

Alice Steers Wentworth

February 1, 1911 - June 15, 2009

No comments: